Sunday, December 9, 2007

Cheesecake: Baking-The Taste Test

I ate the entirety of the layer still attached to the bottom of the springform a few hours after it was made. I ate the entire second layer over the next day or two.

The following is cross-posted from my personal blog entry from November 6th because this cheesecake is now a distant memory:

"My attempt at vegan cheesecake had mixed results. It's edible, but I definitely made some key mistakes. I'm not upset because I get cheesecake now and because the next one will be perfect.

Missteps:
Stevia has no place in cheesecake, apparently. I made it 3/4 stevia, 1/4 sugar. The bites of the sugar batter are awesome. The stevia bites are bitter with a too sweet finish. Not shocking results.

Half firm and half extra firm was misguided. Cheesecake is supposed to be dense. Granted, I got greedy and didn't let it cool properly. All extra firm would have been better.

I was pretty against adding vegan cream cheese, but that might have been handy. It could do with more cheese.

It stuck to the base of the springform pan, separating the hardened top and the mushy innards which I am now eating. Parchment paper might help.

At this point, I'm comfortable theorizing that letting it set in the fridge for the recommended time, if not longer, would have been a good decision."

No comments: