Thursday, November 8, 2007

Cheesecake: Baking-Round 1

I followed the directions exactly*, except that I tried to be a hero and create the ultimate healthy cheesecake; I subbed stevia in instead of the sugar. It all blended up nicely and I was pretty happy with everything until I poured the misture into my springform pan. There was maybe half an inch of to-be-cake, which mirrored what someone had said in the RecipeZaar.com comments. I had half a container of silken tofu left, so I made another 1/3 batch of the recipe, this time using sugar and threw it on top. This is when I made the fatal error: I didn't mix the batches together before I tossed it into my preheated oven.

Once again mirroring a comment, the cheesecake didn't look ready after the requisite half an hour. I turned down the heat to 250 (a guess) and set the timer for another 30 minutes. I realized later than the timer had jammed at 15 minutes, having no idea how much time had passed. I pulled it out of the oven and let it cool.

Once it was cool, I put it in the fridge. The recipe said to wait 2 hours at least, but I was impatient and left it for about an hour and a half. When I tried to take it out of the springform, half clung to the bottom and half came off. It sort of became the world's thinnest layer cake. It occurred to me that this could be a result of not mixing the two batches of batter together.

*It didn't specify which density of tofu to use, so I followed an instruction and went with a block of extra firm silken and what was eventually a block of firm silken.

No comments: