Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Cheesecake: the preliminaries

Cheesecake has always been my favourite cake. I used to make dairy cheesecakes with my mom for almost every family function and they were always a hit. I am looking for a recipe that I feel is a passable equivalent to its dairy counterpart (as I remember it).

I chose to use the internet as my initial recipe pool. I am against chocolate cheesecake, so that cut out a significant chunk of recipes. (Why? Because as long as it's chocolaty and creamy, you can forgo cheesiness. Unacceptable.)

The best vegan cheesecake I have EVER had was a lemon cheesecake made by a classmate's partner. Unfortunately, he won't share the recipe. He did say that there are only four ingredients, hence my obsession with simplicity.

The most widely available vegan cheesecake in Toronto is by Sweets From The Earth and is good, but not quite what I'm looking for. I can't find the ingredients online, but they are numerous.

I finally settled on this recipe from RecipeZaar.com. (It looked similar to another recipe that was credited as being an adaptation of a Bryanna Clark Grogan recipe, so it may be an uncredited adaptation.)


No comments: