Sunday, December 9, 2007

Cheesecake Round 2-The Filling

I had not been able to find extra firm silken tofu anywhere since the first cake. The local Korean grocery store has a great selection of silken tofu, but firmness was not specified. With some help from the owner, I decided to buy the six blocks of regular silken tofu for $1.50. (This entire cheesecake quest is sort of out of my budget...)

Using the same recipe as last time, only tripled, I whipped up a batch of batter so huge that it barely fit in the magic bullet blender. I made three modifications to the recipe. I only had one lemon so used as much zest and juice as I could grate/squeeze from it. Also, as decided after the first attempt, I had bought some vegan cream cheese for this cake. Some quick math determined that a full containter would have added 55 g of fat. I bit the bullet and added half the container. I baked the cake for an hour instead of 30 minutes because I left it in the oven for longer with the last cake and was happy with the results.

I put this one in the fridge overnight, pleased with how much closer this attempt had clearly come.

No comments: