Sunday, December 9, 2007

Cheesecake: Round 2-The Crust

I had some time to kill one morning before I left to start my day, so I decided to make a cheesecake appropriate crust. We did not have any graham crackers, and I try not to use honey anyway, so I had to get creative. I read two different recipes at fatfreevegan.com, which can be seen here and here. Surveying what we had in our pantry, I took the stale Fig Newton style cookies and threw them into the magic bullet. When I realized that there were not enough crumbs, I ground up some Nature's Path Heritage Flakes. There was absolutely no measurements used. We had very little soy milk and no juice other than my roommate's tomato. My options were water or ginger beer. I decided that the ginger would give it a warmth reminiscent of honey, so I poured it into the bowl. I mixed it together and pushed it into a springform pan that I had greased with Earth Balance margarine. Although I am not sure why, I made the crust so that it went about half way up the pan on the edges. I threw it into the fridge and left for the day.

When I got home from the daily grind and grocery shopping, I threw it into the oven at 350 for ten minutes and then let it cool before filling it.

No comments: