Thursday, May 14, 2009

"For the aspiring artisinal vegan cheesecake craftsperson"

Paris is very unveganfriendly, which I probably should have foreseen. It is also very expensive. I am also the only vegan I know here. All in, this is not the place to keep working on the quest for the perfect vegan cheesecake.

I will be back in Toronto in a month or so, which will make procuring ingredients much easier. I'll also be staying at la casa del Mayerson again, which means free groceries magically appearing every Saturday morning. And I have a vegan friend whose birthday is a few weeks after I get back. He doesn't like sweets much, but I'm almost certainly making him a cheesecake anyway.

In summation: Toronto is as good for the aspiring artisinal vegan cheesecake craftsperson as Paris is bad.

Here's what I have planned...

1) A keylime and blueberry cheesecake, like the ones I used to make for bridal showers with my mom - except keylime instead of kiwi for the tartness - using YoSo keylime creamcheese spread and YoSo blueberry yogourt, blueberry pie filling and lime flowers, a hommage to the kiwi flowers I spent so much time on when I was a kid.

2) A raw cheesecake, for which I have seen instructional videos on youtube. Isa Chandra Moskowitz recently blogged about them, reminding me that there were vegan cheesecake peaks that I had yet to ascend. She made a strawberry one, but I'm thinking cherry and raspberry. I'll also forgo the fluffy topping, because cheesecake can be too sweet, and maybe skip the crust because a less than awesome crust can ruin an otherwise yummy cake.

Should be caloric and divine!

No comments: